Skip to main content

The Sweetness of Story

When I started working as an Elementary Teacher Librarian, I held a secret shame.

Although I loved to read and spent many summer days at our local public library, there were many childhood classics that I had missed reading as I grew up. Books that were pivotal for others just never ended up in my hands, and here I was - about to start a career as a librarian without having completely read the canon of Important Children's Literature.

I started slowly reading some of the books I had missed. The first was Anne of Green Gables, and Oh! The joy of reading Anne's breathless lengthy speeches as an adult - I adored the book, and have used the name Idlewild wherever I could since. As someone who loves to wonder at the beauty of the outdoors, the quiet forest where Anne meets with her bosom friend always sounded like a place I would love, and the language reminded me a bit of one of the lines from the famous Mary Oliver poem The Summer Day (I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down into the grass, how to kneel in the grass, how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields, which I have been doing all day). Anne brought me back to the simplicity and complexity of being a child, of finding your place in the world, and all of the emotions that it brings.

Another book that has been on my to-read list was Charlotte's Web. How is it possible that I never read this beautiful book as a child? My son and I are listening to the audiobook as we commute to school, read by E.B White himself, a delightful grandfatherly voice telling this gentle tale, complete with the occasional page turning rustle caught on the audio.

It has been a joy to share this story with my 8 year old. I sneak glances at him in the rearview mirror to see him smile as the goose speaks with his signature repeating voice, or see him thoughtfully gazing out the window as Wilbur worries about so much, even though he is so young.

This story has been a lovely distraction, even just for 25 minutes each way to school, from my own worries. Jumping into the simplicity of a little farm with a terrific pig, a clever spider and a barn full of other characters has saved me daily by reminding me what is really important. Helping others, discovering who we really are with the support of our friends, celebrating the simple joys of life - like running through the grass, or snuggling up for a good nap, or even just appreciating the food that we eat each day. I am, like Wilbur, able to spend a bit of time each day contemplating what it's like to be alive.

Stories remind us who we are and why we are here, and I'm so thankful that part of my job is to listen to them - both old and new - so I can pass them on to the child who needs them most.

Comments

  1. My daughter is also eight. Our commute is about 25 minutes. We loved hearing EB White read Charlotte's Web. (The difference is that it wasn't my first time.) Watching through the rear view mirror - such great peeks at his reactions. I'm so glad you are catching up on these great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! We just love our audiobook commute, and have shared so many wonderful stories this way. I loved listening to Stockard Channing read the Ramona Books (and my son LOVED them too) and also Judy Blume reading the Fudge books. Audiobooks are the best!

      Delete
  2. It's never too late to go back and read those! You have shared some of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holding space

Photo by  Andrea Tummons  on  Unsplash I drive to your house. It’s already dark, and my own kids are at home being tucked in by Dad while I deliver soup, ginger candies, a bottle of kombucha and a plant to you. The small rose plant I’m bringing was bought this weekend with S, and she was disappointed to see me taking it away. She offered another plant, daisies, but I reminded her that you like roses best.  I take deep breaths at each red light on the way, not knowing how it will go tonight.  I sit on your bed and you tell me about how your dogs are cuddled up to your stomach most nights, offering their own kind of comfort to the tumour growing there. You never expected to be a dog person you explain, as you pet and play with these little fluff balls. Allowing yourself to be soft and playful with these tiny creatures surprised you.  We talk about your mother and the circumstances of her death. You had a difficult childhood. Abuse, alcoholic dad, distant pill